We are located in Arlington, Texas, but our work is not limited to just Arlington. We are interested in working with, learning from, and sharing with communities nearby and far away. Please use the "Contact" tab above to send your thoughts about unmet needs of older adults and your innovative ideas about how to best fill the missing pieces to make life beautiful for all older adults. Or add a comment on the Blog tab. Thank you for your interest, time, and commitment to make Arlington and surrounding communities as good as practical. No city is perfect and we have room for improvement.
- Musical Memory Singers. Community Chorus for people with early to mid-stage NCD (neurocognitive disorder aka dementia, sometimes known as Alzheimer's disease), care partners, and volunteers. Rehearsals are on Thursdays, 9:30 am - 11:00 am at the Pantego Lions Club, 3535 Marathon, Pantego/Arlington 76013. No fees, no audition, no stigma, no judgment. Everybody is welcome. You don't need an NCD diagnosis to participate. Please come to see what we're about. You won't be committed if you just come to check us out! Don't worry if you "can't sing." Neither can many of us. Singing lifts us up...come and see.
- We were the energy behind getting the new world-class "active seniors" center to be built in Arlington on the ballot and making sure the $45M Bond passed to fund the construction and maintenance.
- Advocating for Universal Design Principles for new residential construction to make houses livable for the greatest number of people, regardless of ability or disability.
- Advocating for Tarrant County to implement the "Take Me Home Program" to return disabled older adults safely to their homes, even if they don't know or can't speak their name/address.
- Advocating for affordable housing options for older residents, including two new apartment complexes to be built in Arlington for people 62+ with opening expected to be spring of 2017. The small one-bedroom, one bath units should rent for ~$400/month. The 126-unit complex "Arbor Grove" will be built at 1116 Gibbins Rd., 76011, and the 74 unit complex "Secretariat" will be built at 1121 Debbie Ln, Arlington 76002.
OUR ACTION TEAM LEADERS:
- Community & Civic Participation: Sharron Merrill
- Health & Social Services: Kay Reynolds
- Housing: Sandee Reutebuch
- Transportation: Peggy Masters
- Volunteerism Darla Peznell
- Floating Ann Williams